Dr D Behera, Professor & Head
Citation indices: Google Scholar
Born in 1953, Prof Behera is a native of Orrisa. Dr. Behera was educated in Cuttack and completed his graduation from SCB Medical College (Utkal University) in 1978. He joined the PGIMER as a Junior Resident in the department of Medicine in 1978 and has continued till date. He completed his MD (Medicine) in 1980 and Diplomate of National Board of Examinations in Medicine and Respiratory Medicine in 1982 and 1983 respectively. He joined the department faculty in 1984 and was elevated to the post of Professor in 2000. He took over from Prof Jindal as HOD in May 2014. Prof Behera is a member of several international and national professional bodies. Prof. Behera is particularly interested in lung cancer. He is known as a pioneer of lung cancer chemotherapy in this part of the country. He is the founder president of the Indian Study for the Study of Lung Cancer. He has published over 462 papers and has received many awards.
Awards & Honors
- Dr. PRJ Gangadharam Endowment Oration Award – 2015. The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences and members of Kasturba Health Society, Sevagram, Maharastra.
- Prof. Dr. P. S. Shankar oration -2014 by the Academy of Respiratory Medicine under the auspices of the Environmental Medical Association during the 20th National conference of Environment and Pulmonary diseases (20th NESCON) 2014.
- Raman Viswanathan Memorial Oration-2013 – National College of Chest Physicians of India
- Dr. P.K. Sen TAI Gold Medal Oration 2011 by the Tuberculosis Association of India
- Achanta Lakshmipathi Oration Award for the year 2010-2011 by the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India)
- Dr. Rajender Prasad Memorial Oration – 2011, CSMU, Lucknow
- Dr. G.D. Sharma Memorial Oration – 2010 award by SMS Medical College, Jaipur
- Indian Chest Society (ICS) Oration Award 2009
- Tandon Mathur Oration, Department of Pulmonary Medicine King George’s Medical University, Lucknow – 2007.
- Amrut Mody Unichem Award (Chest Diseases) 2006 by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) in recognition of significant contributions in biomedical research.
- Dr. Reddy’s Oration 2005, Indian Society for Study of Lung Cancer.
- Dr. B.C. Roy Award 2004 in the category of Eminent Medical Teacher by Medical Council of India.
- Bijoy Govinda Award 2002, Bijoy Govinda Memorial Charitable Trust, Cuttack, Orissa.
- Dr. Krishna Singla Memorial Oration, Himachal Pradesh Association of Physicians of India Chapter, 2002.
- Cipla Chest Oration award (2001) by National College of Chest Physicians India.
- Hari Om Ashram Alembic Research Award (2000) by Medical Council of India
- Devi Chand Memorial Oration Award (2000) by IG Medical College, Shimla, Govt. of Himachal Pradesh.
- Prof. Rathinavelu Subramaniam Edowment Oration (2000) by the Association of Physician of India, 1999.
- Samanta Chandra Sekhar Award by Orissa Bigyan Academy, 1998.
- Charu Chandra Das Memorial award by Tuberculosis Association of India, 1997.
- Coehlo Memorial Research Lectureship award on experimental Medicine by the Association of Physicians of India. 1993.
- Smt. Kamal Satbir Award by the Indian Council of Medical Research. 1992.
- Shree Krishnaji Govind and Mrs. Pramilabai Bhate Memorial Lecture Award on Asthma and Bronchitis by the Association of Physicians of India. 1989.
- ICMR Award by the Indian Council of Medical Research for research in the Field of “Respiratory physiology of smoking”. 1985.
- The Karel Styblo Prize for Public Health – 2009 by the Union (IUATLD) for contribution in the field of tuberculosis.
- I.U.A.T.L.D. Prize by the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases for Scientific Contribution to the Fight against Respiratory Diseases 1990.
- Fogarty International Fellowship Award by the National institute of Health (NIH), USA.1990-92.
- Cancer Research Fellowship Award (ICRETT) by the International Union against Cancer (UICC), Geneva. 1989.
- International Cancer Research Exchange Technology Transfer (ICRETT) award by the International Union Against Cancer (UICC), Geneva.(1996).
- Developing Nations Investigators Award, 2000,2003, 2005, 2007 International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer.
- John F. Perkin’s Memorial Award by the American Physiology Society. 1991.
Fellowship of Academic Bodies
- Fellow National Academy of Medical Sciences
- Fellow of American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow of Asia Pacific Society of Respirology
- Fellow of National College of Chest Physicians (INDIA).
- Fellow Indian college of Physicians
- Fellow of Indian Chest Society
- Fellow Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology
- Fellow of International College of Angiology.
- Member of International Society for Study of Lung Cancer.
- Member of Indian Society for Study of Lung Cancer.
- Member of European Respiratory Society.
- Member of Association of Physicians of India.
- Member of Indian Chest Society.
- Member of Indian Society of Oncology.
- Member of American Society for Clinical Oncology
- Member of European Society for Medical Oncology
- Member of Asia Pacific Society for Respirology
- Member of International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (The Union)
- Member of National Academy of Medical Sciences
Editorial Board of Scientific Journals
- Editor, Indian Journal of Tuberculosis.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Chest Diseases and Allied Sciences.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Journal of Association of Physicians of India.
- Member, Editorial Board, Lung India
Member of Executive Bodies of Scientific Societies
- Governor, India, American College of Chest Physicians.
- Founder-President of the Indian Society for Study of Lung Cancer.
- Chairman of the Tuberculosis Scientific Section of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (The Union) for 4 years.
- President – National College of Chest Physicians of India 2010-2011.
- Chairman, National Task Force for medical colleges (RNTCP)
- Member Education Committee, International Association for Study of Lung Cancer.
- Member Executive Committee and Central Committee of Tuberculosis Association of India.
- Member, Scientific Committee Asia Pacific Society of Lung Cancer.
- Board Member, The Union.
Task Force Membership
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) for starting Research Centre at Bhopal for Environmental Health
- Member, Expert Group to review the Health Effects of MIC affected areas of Bhopal (1988-2007)
- Member National Task Force (ICMR) for management of cancer.
- Member, National Task Force (ICMR) Climate and Lung Health.
- Chairman, Project Review Committee of ICMR for Tuberculosis, Leprosy and other mycobacterial diseases
- Member National Task Force, Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Govt. of India on many bodies of RNTCP like Advisory Body, National Operational Research Committee, DOTS PLUS Committee, Laboratory Committee, Infection Control Committee etc.
- Chairman, National Task Force for Medical Colleges, RNTCP, Central TB Division, Govt. of India
- Chairman, Operational Research Committee, Revised National Tuberculosis Central TB Division, Govt. Of India.
Expert faculty member in universities (Past & Present)
- Member, Executive Committe and Court, Mahrishi Dayanand University, Rohtak, Haryana
- Added Member, Senate, Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Expert in the Faculty of Medical Sciences of Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
- Expert in the Board of Studies in the Subject of Medical Sciences (UG/PG) of Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla